The South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA) is South Africa’s premier research institute on international issues. As an independent, non-government think tank, we have a long and proud history of providing thought leadership in Africa. We are both a centre for research excellence and a home for stimulating public discussion.
Our head office is located in Johannesburg on the campus of the University of the Witwatersrand, and we also have an office in Cape Town. SAIIA is a membership organisation, with branches in Cape Town, Pietermaritzburg and East London. View our contact details and directions to our offices or learn more about SAIIA membership categories and benefits.
SAIIA Strategic Plan
The current strategy guiding our work runs from 2013 through to 2018.
Our Goal: A well-governed, peaceful, economically sustainable and globally-engaged Africa.
Our Vision: To be the pre-eminent think-tank on Africa and on global issues as they affect Africa.
Our Mission: SAIIA provides input into policy development and promotes balanced dialogue and debate on issues crucial to Africa’s advancement and engagement in a dynamic global context. SAIIA does this by conducting evidence-based policy research, stimulating informed public debate, and building leadership and research excellence in Africa.
- making input into policy development locally and internationally
- undertaking research on current issues of importance to Africa generally and South Africa specifically with a focus on governance and accountability; trade, investment and development; foreign policy; and climate change and energy security.
- developing linkages and joint programmes with international organisations and agencies throughout the world
- maintaining a resource centre and reference library (that is a United Nations depository as well as a World Bank Development Information Centre) for students and scholars of international relations
- organising conferences, seminars and speakers’ meetings on a wide range of topics addressed by prominent South Africans and distinguished international guests
- encouraging an interest in international relations among the youth through our leadership programme for postgraduate interns and our youth outreach programmes for university students and high school learners