Areas of research expertise:
- Trade Policy
- Regional Integration (SADC, COMESA, EAC, ECOWAS)
- Private Sector Development
Talitha is a trade policy, regional integration, private sector development and a monitoring and evaluation expert. She has extensive experience in the area of the regional integration and the regional bodies of Southern, Western and Eastern Africa, including SADC, SACU, COMESA, ECOWAS and the EAC. Her experience follows from closely researching and advising on the SA-EU TDCA and subsequent negotiations of the Southern and East African regions’ EPAs. In both Southern and Eastern Africa she has worked closely with private sector organisations in preparing for the EPAs and strengthening the private sector's engagement in the former.
Talitha started her career as a SAIIA Researcher in 1997-1998 and then spent most of the subsequent years as an independent consultant working on projects throughout Eastern and Southern Africa. During this time she maintained her relationship with SAIIA as a Research Associate. She has also worked in the past with Christian Aid in London to develop the organisation’s position on global trade issues.
- French (limited)
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T. 2017. From Dependency to Partnership: Where are AU-EU Relations Heading? SAIIA Policy Briefing 167, November 2017
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T & Prinsloo, C. 2017. Power and the Private Sector in Tanzania: Prospects for the AfDB’s High Fives Strategy, SAIIA Occasional paper 272. 2017.
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T; Markowitz, C & Parshotam, A. 2017. Mapping Current Trends in Infrastructure Financing In Low-Income Countries in Africa within the Context of the African Development Fund. GEG Africa Discussion Paper, November 2017
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T, Prinsloo, C, Sidiropoulos, E, Wentworth, L and Wood, C. The New Development Bank: Moving the BRICS from an Acronym to an Institution, SAIIA: Occasional Paper 233, June 2016.
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T, Friis, C, and Prinsloo, C. Making Sustainable Development the Key Focus of the BRICS New Development Bank, SAIIA: Occasional Paper 230, April 2016
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T & Vanheukelom, J. January 2016. The Political Economy of Regional Integration in Africa: The Southern African Development Community. ECDPM, January 2016.
- Bertelsmann-Scott, 6 November 2015. Value Chains in Southern Africa: Entry Points for Donor Impact. SAIIA
- Bertelsmann-Scott T (with L Wentworth), The Political Economy of Regional Integration, SAIIA and ECDPM research collection, February 2014
- Bertelsmann-Scott T, Forging a partnership with the EU beyond shared history, SAIIA opinion piece, September 2012
- Bertelsmann-Scott T, SA-EU Summit 2013: Investment and Jobs in South Africa and SADC? SAIIA opinion piece, July 2013
- Bertelsmann-Scott T, SACU – One Hundred not Out: What Future for the Customs Union, SAIIA Occasional Paper, No 68, September 2010
Recent media articles:
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T & Markowitz, C. 2017. Are Regional Value Chains a Myth in Southern Africa? SAIIA, November 2017.
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T & Sidiropoulos, E. 2017. Merkel faces tough G20 Balancing Act. Financial Mail, June 2017
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T. 23 June 2017. Lesotho: Four ways to boost growth, stability. African Independent
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T. 2 June 2017. What is Standing in the way of South Africa’s Entrepreneurs? OECD Development Matters.
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T & Sidiropoulos, E. 2 September 2016. Speaking to Development and Growth: the Hangzhou Summit. SAIIA.
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T & Markowitz, C. 15 September 2016. A Tale of Two Summits. Business Day
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T. 24 July 2016. Manufacturing in Southern Africa: Dream or Reality? The need to integrate into Global Value Chains. Business Report
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T. 22 March 2016. Unhappy South Africans. SAIIA
- SADC should sweat the small stuff, Mail and Guardian, 10 August 2012
Email address: talitha.bertelsmann-scott[@]saiia.org.za
To arrange an interview with any of our experts, please contact us.