Areas of research expertise:
- Trade Policy
- Regional Integration (SADC, COMESA, EAC, ECOWAS)
- Private Sector Development
Talitha is a trade policy, regional integration, private sector development and a monitoring and evaluation expert. She has extensive experience in the area of the regional integration and the regional bodies of Southern, Western and Eastern Africa, including SADC, SACU, COMESA, ECOWAS and the EAC. Her experience follows from closely researching and advising on the SA-EU TDCA and subsequent negotiations of the Southern and East African regions’ EPAs. In both Southern and Eastern Africa she has worked closely with private sector organisations in preparing for the EPAs and strengthening the private sector's engagement in the former.
Talitha started her career as a SAIIA Researcher in 1997-1998 and then spent most of the subsequent years as an independent consultant working on projects throughout Eastern and Southern Africa. During this time she maintained her relationship with SAIIA as a Research Associate. She has also worked in the past with Christian Aid in London to develop the organisation’s position on global trade issues.
- French (limited)
- Bertelsmann-Scott T (with L Wentworth), The Political Economy of Regional Integration, SAIIA and ECDPM research collection, February 2014
- Bertelsmann-Scott T, Forging a partnership with the EU beyond shared history, SAIIA opinion piece, September 2012
- Bertelsmann-Scott T, SA-EU Summit 2013: Investment and Jobs in South Africa and SADC? SAIIA opinion piece, July 2013
- Bertelsmann-Scott T, SACU – One Hundred not Out: What Future for the Customs Union, SAIIA Occasional Paper, No 68, September 2010
Recent media articles:
- SADC should sweat the small stuff, Mail and Guardian, 10 August 2012
Email address: talitha.bertelsmann-scott[@]saiia.org.za
To arrange an interview with any of our experts, please contact us.