- Areas of Research Expertise:
SA's international relations
International development cooperation of emerging powers
Africa's relations with emerging and traditional powers: BRICS, Europe, US
Ms Sidiropoulos has headed the Institute since 2005. Before her current appointment she was director of studies at SAIIA from 1999 to April 2005. She was previously research director at the South African Institute of Race Relations and editor of the highly acclaimed Race Relations Survey (now the South Africa Survey) an annual publication documenting political and constitutional developments, and socio-economic disparities in South Africa. She is the editor-in-chief of the South African Journal of International Affairs. She serves on the Scientific Advisory Board of the EU's Development Commissioner and is a member of the International Advisory Board of the Indian Foreign Affairs Journal.
- Chaturvedi S, Fues T and Sidiropoulos E (eds), Development Cooperation and Emerging Powers: New Partners or Old Patterns. London: Zed Books, 2012.
- Sidiropoulos E, India and South Africa as Partners for Development in Africa?, Chatham House Briefing Paper, London: Chatham House, 2011.
- Gruzd S, Katito G & Sidiropoulos E, 'South Africa's Role In Providing Development Assistance In Zimbabwe: Policy Options And Strategies', In Besada H (ed.), Zimbabwe: Picking up the pieces. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Sidiropoulos E, 'Global Power Shifts and South Africa's Southern Agenda: Caught between African solidarity and regional leadership' in Kumar A and Messner D (eds), Power Shifts and Global Governance: Challenges from South and North. London: Anthem Press, 2010
Email address: Elizabeth.Sidiropoulos[@]wits.ac.za
To arrange an interview with any of our experts, please contact us.