Areas of Research Expertise:
- Global/regional value chain work
- Mega-regional trade agreements and WTO
- EU-African relations and Migration
- Trade and gender
Asmita is an international trade and development expert, and an admitted attorney of the High Court of South Africa, having served her legal articles at Bowman Gilfillan Incorporated, a corporate law firm in Johannesburg. In 2013, she read for a Master of Arts degree in International Relations at the University of Witwatersrand. Asmita has previously worked at the World Trade Organisation in Geneva, where she gained experience working on multilateral trade concerns within the agricultural and legal spheres, and the European Centre for Development Policy Management, a research institute based in Maastricht, the Netherlands, where she gained experience working on EU-African development issues, including migration, EU-South African relations and EU joint co-operation strategies.
- Parshotam A, The UN Global Compacts on Migration and Refugees: A New Solution to Migration Management, or More of the Same? SAIIA Occasional Paper No 273, November 2017
- Parshotam A, Valletta 2015 to Abidjan 2017: Recent Trends in AU–EU Migration Relations, SAIIA Policy Briefing 168, November 2017
- Parshotam, A. Harnessing Investment in Tanzania’s Agricultural Sector for Inclusive Growth: Where to From Here? SAIIA Occasional Paper No 260, June 2017
- Bertelsmann-Scott, T; Markowitz C; Parshotam A. Mapping Current Trends in Infrastructure Financing In Low-Income Countries in Africa within the Context of the African Development Fund. Discussion Paper, November 2016, Global Economic Governance Africa Programme.
- Parshotam A and Helly D. South Africa, Europe and Africa: Building Bridges Across Barriers? April 2016 (Briefing Note 88). Maastricht: ECDPM.
- Helly D, Galeazzi G, Parshotam A, Gregersen C, Kokolo W, Sherriff A. 2015. Stepping up? Best practice in joint programming and prospects for EU joint cooperation strategies. (Discussion Paper 183). Maastricht: ECDPM.
- Knoll A and Parshotam A. Ask the right questions, get the right answers: The EU’s response to migration and its focus on root causes. ECDPM Talking Points blog, 29 July 2015.
- Parshotam A. Book review for the European Journal of Risk Regulation, Volume 4 2013: B. McGrady, Trade and Public Health: the WTO, Tobacco, Alcohol and Diet.
- Brave New World, Financial Mail. 23 June 2017
- 4 states and infrastructure financing challenges in Africa, The World Commerce Review, Volume 10 Issue 4, co-authored with Cyril Prinsloo.
- African Voices Must Speak Up for Infrastructure Financing Support, All Africa opinion piece, 5 December 2016
- Using investment to integrate farmers into value chains: Tanzania’s successes and challenges, ICTSD Bridges Africa, 22 November 2016
- Does a Brexit matter for South Africa? Eye Witness News, June 2016, co-authored with Cyril Prinsloo and Elizabeth Sidiropoulos
Email address: asmita.parshotam[@]wits.ac.za