This workshop aims to bring together relevant policy makers and stakeholders to discuss the opportunities and challenges for investment in these value chains and to provide sustainable policy recommendations that will help promote economic development in the region.
This event will focus on agro-processing value chain themes and trends, including:
- Recent investment in macadamia nut and oilseeds in Malawi, South Africa and Mozambique;
- Market access and information barriers;
- Integration of smallholder farmers;
- Production and processing challenges; and
- The potential for regional value chains within Southern Africa
This workshop will include presentations from SAIIA researchers Asmita Parshotam and Chelsea Markowitz, an independent consultant from Mozambique, Lucilio Gerson Daniel, andrepresentatives from USAID Southern Africa Trade and Investment Hub. The workshop will also host respondents from Zambia and Malawi.
Date: Monday, 6 November 2017
Time: 08h30 for 09h00 – 13h00
RSVP: To register please click HERE
Venue: South African Institute of International Affairs, Jan Smuts House, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
View the event presentations here:
View Chelsea Markowitz presentation on ' pdf Soybean value chain analysis: Experiences from Zambia, Malawi and South Africa (667 KB) '
View Asmita Parshotam's presentation on pdf 'Cultivating a Macadamia Nut Regional Value Chain in Southern Africa' (1.04 MB)
View Gerson Daniel presentation on ' pdf Macadamia case study: Mozambique (359 KB) '
View Sifiso Ntombela's presentation on ' pdf The Role of Private Public Partnerships in Regional Value Chain Development (609 KB) '
View Henri Minnaar's presentation on ' pdf The Role of Private Public Partnerships in Regional Value Chain Development: Models of collaboration (265 KB) '
View our related material:
- GEGAfrica Policy Briefing: Sustainability Standards, SMES and GVCS: Recommendations for the G20 by Anna Ngarachu and Peter Draper
- GEGAfrica Discussion Paper: Are Private Sustainability Standards Obstacles to, or enablers of, SME Participation in Value Chains? Insights from South Africa and Kenya by Anna Ngarachu, Peter Draper and Kwame Owino
- SAIIA Paper: Harnessing Investment in Tanzania’s Agricultural Sector for Inclusive Growth